Looking for Care and Support

by Lisa

Hi my parents are 84 and 82 my mum has been poorly most of her life and been in and out of hospital, had major operations and suffers with countless ailments, my dad looks after her but he's getting very tired and also not in too good health, now and finding it very difficult, though he wouldnt say. We are a very close family and help out a lot, but I feel they need someone to look after them, ir myself, how do i go about doing this, pls help, thank you.

Comments for Looking for Care and Support

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 01, 2014
Care Assessment
by: Pat

Hi Lisa,

You don't say which country your in but if you're in the UK your first enquiry should be with your parents GP. They usually have information on local care providers. You can also contact your local authority social services department and ask for an Assessment on your Mother so that you know what type of care is needed. Depending on their financial circumstances they may be entitled to certain benefits that will help towards the cost of care. I would say that she would certainly qualify for an Attendance Allowance which could then help towards some extra support in the home.

A good starting point to find lots of information is this website http://www.scie.org.uk/findmegoodcare/

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Babyboomers Caring Experiences.